9 AM - 12 PM
Check-in and distribution of supplies will be from 8:30- 9:00 AM.
Cleanup will begin at 9:00 AM and boats will return to the landings promptly at 12 PM.
A site coordinator will be at each of the meeting locations to distribute cleaning supplies, raffle tickets and to direct volunteers and boat captains. Volunteers cleaning up the shoreline will be assigned to boat captains at the launch site. Portable toilets will be located at landings.
1. Stumpy Pond Access Area
From the intersection of Chester Ave and Highway 21/97Take SC 97/S Francis Avenue for 5.7 miles to State Rd S-29-20 turn right and go 3.4 miles, turn right on Bluefield Rd.
Site Coordinator: Glinda Coleman
2. Debutary Landing Access Area
From the intersection of Chester Ave and Highway 21/97-Head southeast on US-21 S/Chester Ave (3.1 miles) turn left on Old Rocky Creek Road (S-20-268)for 1.5 miles, turn left on Debutary Access Road.
Site Coordinator: Mike Vaughn
We ask all volunteers to sign GFHTA and CRF waivers before we get started . If you are under 18 years old, you will need a parent/guardian to sign for you.
Many Great Prizes will be raffled off at the cookout including a new kayak. You must be present to win. Six specially painted rocks will be placed in cleanup sites by a generous sponsor. If found and returned to War Memorial building, the finder receives a $25.00 cash prize!
What to Wear
Please wear comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes that can get wet and/or dirty. We always encourage long pants and tall socks! It may be chilly in the morning, so we recommend you dress in layers. You will also be asked to wear a life jacket when on the boats.
Free River Sweep T-shirts will be given at check-in on a first-come, first-serve basis.
After-Cleanup Social at The Great Falls War Memorial Building
We will have a great cookout and social after working all morning. There will be food, music, and the lots raffle drawings! Food will be served at 1 PM. The address for the War Memorial Building is 401 Dearborn St, Great Falls, SC 29055. Plenty of parking is available
Other Things to Note
- This is not a rain or shine event. We will contact you in the event of postponement until Nov. 11 due to bad weather.
- For those coming from longer distances, wireless service is pretty good but make sure your phones are charged all the way!
- If you have supplies from previous River Sweeps, grabbers and mesh bags, please bring them along for this River Sweep
- We are asking veteran boat captains to sport their Boat Captain hats from the last River Sweep! We have hats available for new boat captains.
- If you take photos during the event, please post them to GFHTA Facebook, and Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation.